5427 Cornell Road
Cincinnati OH 45242

Tel: 513-618-2005

Fax: 513-984-4430

K Visa Information



K - Fiancé Visa

K visas are issued to two groups of people: 1) U.S. citizens' fiancés who are outside the U.S. (issued K-1 visas), and 2) U.S. citizens' spouses who are outside the U.S. (issued K-3 visas). The minor children of such fiancés or spouses who will accompany them to enter into the U.S. may apply for a "K-2" or "K-4" visa respectively.

The purpose of the K-1 visa is to allow the alien fiancé who lives outside the U.S. to travel into the U.S. to marry the citizen fiancé.

The purpose of the K-3 visa is to promote family reunion and serves as a temporary remedy for the long delayed family based immigration petition process. It allows the alien spouse to stay in the U.S. while waiting for the result of the pending immigration petition. The alien spouse may obtain work authorization during the waiting period.


Fiancés of U.S. citizens (K-1):

  • The alien fiancé must be outside the U.S.;
  • The U.S. citizen must first file an I-129F petition with the USCIS and have it approved before the alien fiancé may apply for a K visa.
  • Both the U.S. citizen and the fiancé must remain unmarried until the arrival of the alien fiancé in the U.S.
  • The alien fiancé and U.S. citizen must have met personally at least once in the two years before the I-129F petition was filed.

Spouses of U.S. citizens (K-3):

  • The alien spouse must be outside the U.S..
  • An immigrant petition (Form I-130) for the benefit of the spouse must have been filed when the I-129F (K visa petition) is filed.
  • The U.S. citizen spouse must file an I-129F petition (K visa petition) with the USCIS and have it approved.
  • If the marriage occurred outside the U.S., the K visa must be issued by the U.S. consulate in the country where the marriage occurred.

Children of U.S. citizens' fiancés (K-2) and Children of U.S. citizens' spouses (K-4)

  • The child must be outside the U.S. and will accompany K-1/K-3 visa applicant or holder to come to the U.S.
  • The child must be unmarried and under 21 years old.

Back to Immigration Law



At the Law Offices of Louis Edward Valencia II, LLC, we offer a wide range of representation to immigration law of all types.


The Law Offices of Valencia & Diaz specialize in Family Law and Women's rights. Click here to learn more.


Real estate law has always been an important practice area for The Law Offices of Louis Edward Valencia, II, LLC.
Creado Por MarketinTarget - Ventas Por Internet | Privacy Policy